WHAT IS A RESEARCH PROPOSAL?
Explain to the students:
- The place of research proposals in the research cycle.
- The rationale behind submitting preliminary pieces of writing such as an annotated bibliography, draft literature review and draft research proposal.
- The function of peers and the peer review process.
- Typical components of a proposal and their respective functions.
As presented in the Research Scholar Script, here are the basic parts of a Research Proposal:
|RESEARCH PROPOSAL PARTS|
|Introduction (Overview & Literature Review)|
|Bibliographic List of Cited Sources|
- Though it is a bit early in the game, this is an opportune time to introduce them to the DECISION CIRCUIT.
- Consider bringing in a number of sample research proposals or method plans for dissection. Point out the different formats and requirements and the reasons for the lack of uniformity (differences due to grant or journal criteria, discipline approaches, documentation styles, goals…).